Claudia Marshall, Board of Directors
You are cordially invited to enter The Charlotte News photo contest — “What Charlotte Means to Me.”
In the inimitable words of the 1971 Rod Stewart song: “Every picture tells a story, don’t it?”
We’d love to see your photo of Charlotte, and to learn about the story behind the picture, since they will undoubtedly be unlike any other. Maybe it’s a photo of a pig or cow or pet? It might be a landscape, like the view from the Charlotte Beach, a covered bridge or a crumbling barn. Or even a pic of your family, or a community gathering. You decide.
Photos should be submitted by email and must be received by Friday, June 30. Your entry should be accompanied by an explanation of no more than one or two sentences that describe how your photo expresses what Charlotte means to you (see below).
Our judge is Lee Krohn. You’ve seen many of his photos on the pages of The Charlotte News. We’re grateful to him both for judging our photo contest, and also for providing us with such a beautiful and diverse range of photos for the paper. Judging criteria will include composition, image quality, creativity and how well your photo and description capture and express what Charlotte means to you.
We will publish a selection of the winning photos in the July 13 paper and on The Charlotte News website. As if that wasn’t prize enough, several Charlotte residents and a business have donated prizes:
- First Prize: A late afternoon Lake Champlain cruise on the Albin 28 trawler “Cloud Nine” for up to four people. To include cocktails and enticing snacks. Offered by Glen Findholt and Frances Foster.
- Second Prize: A two-hour Charlotte outing to share photography tips and techniques with Lee Krohn, our contest judge.
- Third Prize: A $100 gift certificate for organic vegetables, flowers and herbs produced by Head Over Fields. Redeemable at their farm stand in Charlotte or at the Shelburne Farmers Market.
We also have special prizes for kids:
- First prize: Four tickets to the ECHO Leahy Center (two adults, two kids).
- Second prize: A $50 gift certificate from Cookie Love.
- Third Prize: A $50 gift certificate from Stones Throw Pizza.
The fine print: Photos are due by Friday, June 30. They should be submitted by email to Anna Cyr, our production manager. Photos should be high resolution, 300 dpi. One entry per person, please. Your entry must include your name, age (if you’re under 18), address, phone number and email address (so we can notify you) and a brief description of how your photo expresses what Charlotte means to you.
That’s it. Just that simple. So, get out there, get clickin’ and send us your photo of “What Charlotte Means to Me.”